BLURB HERE
Blurb text blurb text.

Kim Sherman and Cotten Music

Posted: March 20th, 2011 | Filed under: collector, feature, good friend, home, musician, photographer, retail, singer | 41 Comments »

Kim Sherman and I go all the way back to about 1983 or so. I was a punk kid, with a studio down on Second Avenue North, (current home of Mulligan’s Irish Bar). I lived downstairs, and had a studio upstairs on the second floor. I shot about three album covers a week at that time; the music business was on fire at that time. Kim was doing a record with Phil Johnson for The Benson Company. Fifteen years go by, and we met again through a mutual friend — this time, through photography. (She’s another in this line of strong Renaissance women — she collects art; she cooks; she does photography; she writes songs; she collects bicycles; she co-owns a high-end guitar store. I think I’m going to rename this blog StrongRenaissanceWomen.com).

It turns out, Kim and I both grew up in Kentucky, about two hours apart. Her father farms about 1900 acres in western Kentucky — mostly corn, soybeans and wheat. She has three sisters, and loves her very tightly-knit family. In 1996, Kim joined ranks with Darcy Cotten to run Cotten Music in Hillsboro Village. She’s now writing songs again, and collaborating with friends. A few years ago, she purchased a gorgeous Manuel Zeitlin-designed loft on Belmont, and helped design the interior, even down to importing some of the wood flooring for her sleeping loft, from her father’s barn in Kentucky.

She’s as fine and honest a person as you’ll ever come across. Pure as the day is long; kind-hearted and genuine. Wander into Cotten Music in the village, look down at that tile floor, and feel the history.

41 Comments on “Kim Sherman and Cotten Music”

1. 1 Ronnie Mayo said at 4:20 pm on March 20th, 2011:

This is brilliant work. One of your best.

2. 2 kristin said at 5:00 pm on March 20th, 2011:

love the guitars floating like balloons.
    beautiful as always.

3. 3 Tamara said at 7:01 pm on March 20th, 2011:

Lovely imagery for a lovely person

4. 4 kristia said at 9:15 pm on March 20th, 2011:

you have captured her personality in pictures beautifully….

5. 5 VirgilM said at 4:13 am on March 21st, 2011:

Forgot the video?:)

6. 6 Edie said at 4:52 am on March 21st, 2011:

What a beautiful woman. She has that quality of someone that you would like to know. Lovely images.

7. 7 Gina said at 5:38 am on March 21st, 2011:

You captured my cousin, Kim, perfectly. She is as kind, loving and beautiful inside and out as you have portrayed her.

8. 8 sherry stinson said at 6:14 am on March 21st, 2011:

Ed

This is beautiful! One of the best things I’ve seen you do. Clearly you connected to your subject in a very artful way! Thanks for Sharing.

9. 9 linda ward said at 6:20 am on March 21st, 2011:

Never thought my flowergirl would be so famous. Loved the article and the pictures are out of this world. Your store and home are beautiful. Just like your mother, talented and everything.

10. 10 Brittany G said at 7:39 am on March 21st, 2011:

I’m proud to call Kim family.

11. 11 Paul said at 7:43 am on March 21st, 2011:

absolutely brilliant!

12. 12 John Hatley said at 7:56 am on March 21st, 2011:

First things first…There’s no such thing as too many bicycles! or guitars! Very fine photos of you, your cats and your life. Everyone should be so fortunate as to posses such subtle beauty in the things you collect and cherish. Your loft looks just like you!

Finally I get to see the exquisite pics by Mark. Each shot says Kim (and the cat).

I really enjoyed see these….john

13. 13 allison said at 7:58 am on March 21st, 2011:

Mark, your blog is the best. I love that you’re doing this. All of these profiles have been so great.

(And so excited to learn of the secret courtyard in Hillsboro Village!)

14. 14 Bob Deck said at 8:01 am on March 21st, 2011:

Great article, spectacular photos of a dear friend and wonderful person. Great to see Kim recognized for her (many) talents. Darcy, Kim and all the staff at Cotten Music have always made me feel profoundly welcome and ‘at home’ when I’m in the store (which isn’t often enough). They also really know a thing or two about music, guitars and most importantly, life.
    Again, thanks for sharing these thoughts with the world.

15. 15 Terry Barnes said at 8:04 am on March 21st, 2011:

It’s about time Miss Kim was “featured” somewhere! Love this !!!

16. 16 amy said at 9:17 am on March 21st, 2011:

I love all of these images, this woman’s personal qualities that you mention really shine through.

17. 17 Janetta said at 9:28 am on March 21st, 2011:

Love me some KIM! Huge influence on me as a kid and a wonderful buddy now… The b/w of Kim with Keller is my favorite.

18. 18 Carlean said at 10:09 am on March 21st, 2011:

Kim, what a beautiful person you have become. Your talent will always be with you. Springhill is so proud of youl

19. 19 Manuel said at 10:20 am on March 21st, 2011:

As beautiful of a person inside as she is outside. I love the photos of Kim in the secret alley and of Kim and Darcy. Lesley Beeman also deserves credit for designing her loft.
    And Mark, you are wonderful as well!

20. 20 Del Duncan said at 10:38 am on March 21st, 2011:

What a wonderful writeup and photos of Kim. I’ve dealt with Kim, long-distance from New Mexico for years and she is such a wonderful person. I’ve only met Kim in person once when she opened the store to meet me and let me browse on a Sunday as I was passing through, and this article just reinforces how wonderful she is!

21. 21 Shannan (little sister) said at 11:35 am on March 21st, 2011:

Mark,
    All I have to say is that you captured her beautifully. Thank you so much for this gift.

22. 22 Donna said at 12:27 pm on March 21st, 2011:

My travels from my home, to nowhere but your site! Love to see who is next. I just met the woman, Aisha, candle maker at Bobby’s Dairy Dip, I turned around and told her I just saw some lovely images of her.

23. 23 John said at 3:17 pm on March 21st, 2011:

Mark. So inspiring. Thank you!

24. 24 Clarissa Vazquez said at 3:54 pm on March 21st, 2011:

What a great story! Very inspiring!!!

25. 25 Taresa said at 5:06 pm on March 21st, 2011:

amazing work & of course beautiful subject..you captured her perfectly!

26. 26 Rod Creagh - 3 Wire Music said at 5:16 pm on March 21st, 2011:

What a great tribute to Kim and her family, and Darcy ! Great pictures and the sentiments are truly heartfelt…
    Thanks for the wonderful message !
    Rod

27. 27 Howard Gotfryd said at 6:13 pm on March 21st, 2011:

This feature just makes me want to get out to Nashville and give Kim a big ole hug! Mark, I have been quietly admiring your work for a long time. You have a gift, sir, as well as one of the greatest friends (depicted above) a guy could ever hope to have. Cherish it.

hg

28. 28 Mike Mallick said at 6:14 pm on March 21st, 2011:

Pretty pretty cool!

29. 29 Troy said at 7:24 pm on March 21st, 2011:

Wonderful… Really something…

30. 30 Jackie Roman said at 9:16 pm on March 21st, 2011:

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Love it Tucker. -J

31. 31 Andra said at 7:16 am on March 22nd, 2011:

Gorgeous!

32. 32 Esther Arington said at 2:56 pm on March 22nd, 2011:

Thank you for the wonderful presentation. Have always been honored to call Kim family. Barbee and I still sing several of her songs…such depth. Good to see a commentary of what an extraordinary person we’ve always known her to be.

33. 33 Roland Vollmar said at 5:17 am on March 23rd, 2011:

…following your work from germany. For some years now. Really inspiring.

r*

34. 34 Nancy Kouris said at 10:00 pm on March 24th, 2011:

Love the whole effect! My favorite is with guitar pick in the mouth. So like Kim to stop playing and pop it in her mouth to scratch a kitty head. Kim, the cats, and Mark’s photos are fabulous!

35. 35 Ace said at 8:20 pm on March 29th, 2011:

Every picture tells a story. Great write-up and awesome photos of a very wonderful person. I am blessed to have Kim as a good friend. I’ve walked down the bowling alley! I love that picture.

36. 36 John Bennett said at 11:53 am on April 3rd, 2011:

I grew up in Nashville and used to go drool over the guitars at Cotten in the early 70′s. Years later, Kim helped me find a buyer for a mid 40′s Gibson J-45 I was selling and also with the purchase of a Taylor 12 string guitar. Kim is good people!

37. 37 John Chamberlain said at 2:21 pm on April 5th, 2011:

Mark,

Thanks for this wonderful tribute to a terrific lady. Kim is the absolute best…

38. 38 Bob Stolkin said at 11:33 am on April 6th, 2011:

What a beautiful series! Your work is wonderful, as is the subject. I’ve not yet had the pleasure of meeting Kim in person, but know her well as a function of my guitar (and mandolin) obsession. She’s a terrific person, and you’ve really done justice to her.

39. 39 Bryce Kosan said at 5:28 pm on April 10th, 2011:

I only met Kim one time in the late ’90′s at Cotton Music. Meeting her for the first time was like talking to an old friend. She’s a beautiful person inside and out and she’s respected by everyone having an affection for fine acoustic instruments. Her opinion is well respected and she’s one of the nicest people you would ever be lucky enough to meet. I hope Cotton Music and Kim Sherman are around for a long long time.

40. 40 Steve McCreary said at 10:47 am on April 15th, 2011:

A lovely subject and a talented artist….. what more could one ask for. I’ve been honored to call Kim a friend for 17 years and am glad to see her “exposed” like this. Nice job Mark.

41. 41 john minnicks said at 9:08 pm on September 4th, 2011:

mark tucker- I find you to be a fine photographer , creative ? kind of futuristic country grounded man with a fun sence with life… The images reflect this to me… thank you for letting me feel this way… I could not have thought of well….. the camera and the people it would connect… truly i’m with out words…… the images and the liberator and mark tucker….. moooooor… thank you sincerely john minnicks